I’ve been pondering putting aside my dreams of an independent roleplaying game in favor of doing what I love to do most, which is world and adventure design. So as I ponder such thoughts, I wonder…
What are the top three things you look for in a setting?
- What types of settings do you tend to look at or read most often?
- What are the best setting books currently out there and why?
From my perspective, I look for (1) interesting locations, historical significance, and crunchy problems like the world ending. For (2), I am a fantasy guy first and foremost, so I tend towards traditional fantasy (swords & sorcery) more often than not, but I also like urban fantasy and space cowboys (like Firefly). And as for (3) the best settings, I love the Palladium Fantasy world books. Those guys not only provide amazing backgrounds and locations, but the artwork is typically phenomenal.
I have two nearly complete fantasy worlds (one more traditional and the other not) and some ideas for an urban fantasy setting and even a Steampunk concept I want to explore… So I have many areas to dive into. Is there room for more setting/adventure materials in the already crowded market?
Curious minds want to know. 🙂
Thanks in advance for any feedback…
Related articles by Zemanta
- Why do I design games? from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)
- Review of Kobold Quarterly #13 Spring 2010 from NEUROGLYPH Games (neuroglyphgames.com)
- World Building 101: Finding Ideas from Jonathan Drain’s D20 Source: Dungeons & Dragons Blog (d20source.com)
- In Defense of Genre Mixing from Savage Swords of Athanor (swordsofathanor.blogspot.com)
- No elves, now free on PDF! from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)
- I Miss Hit Location Charts, Or Pining for Older Rules from Life and Times of a Philippine Gamer (philgamer.wordpress.com)
- A Writer Writes, Always – Part Three from Tankards & Broadswords (tankardsandbroadswords.blogspot.com)
- Jaws of the Six Serpents from Game Cryer ” Roleplaying Game (gamecryer.com)
- Fame in Role-Playing Games from LivingDice.com (livingdice.com)
- One Page Dungeon Contest 2010 Winners from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)
- 2010 New Year’s Resolutions from How to Start a Revolution in 21 Days or Less (revolution21days.blogspot.com)