Yahoo! The Summer 2010 issue of Kobold Quarterly is overflowing with chewy gaming goodness. And if you’re just in the mood for some amazing art, cover to cover is full of spectacular full color and black and white art, starting with “The Paladin’s Treasure” on the front cover. We all knew Paladins were adventuring for something . . . → Read More: Magazine Review: Kobold Quarterly Summer 2010 Issue 14
What is Lesser Wizardry? Does it mean you’re less of a wizard than someone who practices something greater? Not at all.
Think of Lesser Wizardry as the training wheels for a beginning wizard. Lesser Wizardry provides an opportunity for apprentices and students to learn the basics of wizardry without setting their hair on fire attempting to cast a ball of fire at an opponent.
So what is Lesser Wizardry good for? All those little tasks that might not seem like much, but can do many things for a budding wizard:
- Add a bit of flair to your appearance when you’re out in public, such as providing a well-timed breeze to ruffle your robes to get the attention of those around you or to make sure your clothes are clean, hair combed, and hair shaved so you always look your best
- Handle those little onerous tasks such as cleaning the dishes or wrapping a gift perfectly every time
- Make sure you always have a pen handy, never lose your place in a book, or get up on time for an appointment after a long night researching in the lab
Beyond that, there are those little tricks that might make your enemy’s day a little worse with just a little thought from you:
- Distract an opponent just long enough to slip by unnoticed
- Ensure that a rival mumbles at just the right time to not speak a spell correctly or when addressing a crowd of her peers
- Turn a clean, tidy room into a disorganized mess to drive even the most well-adjusted neat freak over the edge
Lesser Wizardry is one of the oldest forms of magic known to the humanoid races. When the first wizards were trying to harness the magical energy of the universe, they were very cautious in their approach and used as little magic as possible. They didn’t want to do any damage for fear of destroying themselves in the process or incurring the wrath of the gods. After a while, it became a game for some wizards to see just how little magic they would need to create a particular effect.
These are the spells that wizards create to simplify things in their lab, ensuring that equipment stays clean and spell components are where they can be easily found. But don’t let that fool you. The most powerful wizards skilled in Lesser Wizardry can drive wizards skilled in other areas quite insane.
One of the best parts of casting Lesser Wizardry spells? No components to mess with! Each and every Lesser Wizardry spell relies exclusively on the focus and energy of the caster. No muss, no fuss.
Related articles by Zemanta
- New Spell – Missile Attack Spell from Sea of Stars RPG Design Journal (seaofstarsrpg.wordpress.com)
- The RPS Bargain Bucket: Magical Pixie Dust! (rockpapershotgun.com)